About Starship Command 2
Starship Command 2 is a much-expanded (and currently in alpha) sequel to Starship Command, a persistent-world, massively single-player, real-time tactical starship simulator wrapped in an AI-driven 4X game. Starting with a lowly shuttle, you will trade and battle your way to victory, amassing a gigantic fleet customized to your liking!
What Is Meant by Massively Single-Player?
Massively Single-Player means when you start Starship Command 2 the first time, it will generate a galaxy with thousands of sectors, each with their own planets and economies. Then populate the galaxy with AI-controlled empires that will attempt to conquer every sector. The galaxy persists through every captain you play as. And you can swap between multiple captains and play both sides of a conflict.
The empires will create wars and alliances with other empires, and even break out in civil wars.
But What Do I Do?
Take command of a starship! (or a fleet of starships). Build a fortune by trading commodities, completing missions, collecting taxes from sectors and battle the other empires for glory!
- Hundreds of empires (hand-crafted and computer generated) to play.
- Thousands of sectors to colonize, trade with or attack.
- Automated captain’s log generation will note actions taken by you and later save the entire log to a file.
- Persistent galaxy that stays through all captains you play as.
What is Currently Working:
- Galaxy generation – All galaxies are based on moddable JSON files.
- Moddability – In fact, all files are either JSON or PNG, making the game mod-friendly!
- Empire AI – All empires will act & react to other empires, creating a dynamic galaxy that can span thousands of years.
- Economy – Trading commodities between sectors and colonizing sectors.
- Captain’s Log – Working, but still needs polishing as more features are added to Starship Command 2.
What is Planned:
- Randomly-created ship hulls and components – This is working as an early-prototype which can be seen and played with here.
- Massive real-time, tactical, space battles – Possibly hundreds of ships battling, while balancing power usage, shield sections, weapon and shield frequencies, etc.
- Ship-boarding and capture – Beam aboard enemy ships and capture or sabotage while the battle rages on around you.
- Job boards and scenarios – Standard jobs, such as take me here, bring this here, kill this guy, etc. scenarios such as moral dilemmas, logic problems, nemesis-battles, space-monsters, empire super-weapons, etc.
What is Planned for the Future:
- Planet exploration – Beam down to a planet and explore the terrain, people and animals.